Theatre, Cinema, Concerts etc.

Jokes, banter, general discussion not neccessarily related to "our thing".
Birchington

Theatre, Cinema, Concerts etc.

Post by Birchington »

Last month I went to see "Guys and Dolls" at the Bridge Theatre in London. https://bridgetheatre.co.uk/whats-on/gu ... hYQAvD_BwE

It really was a most amazing experience and quite unlike any theatre production that I have ever seen before.

The theatre is "in the round" with the audience on all sides of the stage which is in the centre. However, some of the audience also stand in the central stage area.

Various parts of this central are are elevated and lowered throughout the production depending upon which part is being used for the performance. Stewards direct the standing audience where they should move to accommodate the part of the stage that will rise at each stage.

In some ways, the standing audience were even used as part of the production, for example, the missionary people handed out tracts to the standing audience as they walked on tot he stage. It sounds rather strange, but it worked brilliantly well and the performance was vibrantly colourful and cheerful.

Tomorrow I will be going to the Orange Tree Theatre in Richmond to see a play by Somerset Maughan. https://orangetreetheatre.co.uk/whats-o ... rcle/about

The Orange tree Theatre is an old haunt of mine and I have seen some brillinat productions in the past. Before the opening of The Bridge Theatre, always claimed to be London's only theatre in the round.

On the old BS site, I recall that there was a permanent "films" thread, so perhaps we can widen it here to talk about theatre, cinema and concerts etc that we may have attended?
SpankyJo

Re: Theatre, Cinema, Concerts etc.

Post by SpankyJo »

Hope you had a lovely time and maybe some BSers joined you?
Birchington

Post by Birchington »

The performance at the Orange Tree Theatre was most enjoyable and concerned a wealthy couple in the 1920s when the play had been written.

They were in their 30s and had been married for 3 years. However, the man's mother had left his father and gone abroad with another man when he was just 5 year old. Since then, his father had lived in a cottage on the Estate that they owned.

The wife had some contact with her the mother (played by Jane Asher) and her husband. She invited them to the Estate when she thought that the father would be away. However, he returned early so that they were all there at the same time.

It became rather complicated, but the wife finally left her husband, just as his mother had done so many years earlier.

Very entertaining with plenty of laughs along the way.
SpankyJo wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:43 am Hope you had a lovely time and maybe some BSers joined you?
I did have a naughty lady with me and feel sure you will be relieved to know that I, more or less, managed to keep her exuberances in check.
Bratinplimsolls

Post by Bratinplimsolls »

My last cinema visit was to see boogeyman, love the horror movies and looking forward to seeing "talk to me" end of this month
Grab74

Post by Grab74 »

We just went to see Elemental the other day. (Being in a relationship with a little, Disney is a bit of a regular feature!)

Surprisingly, it's a very good film - not just good for a kids film, but a genuinely good film. It's not the first film about second-generation immigrants, but it puts a fantasy spin on the subject which makes it a kid-friendly approach, without being preachy about it. Really well written, well acted, and some absolutely beautiful visuals. I was not expecting that.
Sevenil

Post by Sevenil »

We have seen Oppenheimer and MI Dead Reckoning pt1 in last couple of weeks , both i can highly recommend , completely different types of movies , MI being a great spy action movie , Oppenheimer being a well acted drama with a stellar cast.
We may all be in the gutter but some of us are staring at the stars