Old references to the (not so) gentle art...

Thiis is where we dicsuss all aspects of consensual adult spanking in the UK and beyond
Keith
Site Admin

Old references to the (not so) gentle art...

Post by Keith »

Whilst perusing a public domain site for actual Georgian literature (and I will claim this till I die) I tripped over the absurdly named but immediately inviting work titled: Harris' List of Covent Garden Ladies or new Athlantis for the year 1765.

It is a hilarious romp of, well, presumably his hilarious romp through the ladies of pleasure in the pre-Victorian age, and it is fulsome in description of the ladies features and delights. It appears to have been popular too, for it is a book he seems to have had published every year for some time with additions and deletions as appropriate.

In relation to our arts, he mentions one Mrs Hamilton of Long Acre, who is described thus:

This is an old battered frow, who often trudges through hail, rain and snow, to pick up a cull; there is something about her person that is alluring; --- it is said she is one of the best in town at the game of the birch rod.

That the book is essentially one printed to provide the libertine a sales directory of the pleasures of Venus it is most certainly of its time, and its language reflects this, but without business cards or telephone boxes, it was likely the best advertising some of these ladies might receive.

Has anyone else got an old reference tripped upon by chance? I should love to see it if you do!
Oldcompton

Re: Old references to the (not so) gentle art...

Post by Oldcompton »

Hi Keith , as a collector myself and never seen this publication
I googled and found reprints on line , 2nd hand starting in price for about £8.00
Hoping this helps
Regards
OC
Keith
Site Admin

Post by Keith »

Thanks for that OC, I'd never have thought of looking for reprints for such a work I must admit.

Have you anything of note with regards to the art of consensual adult play that you could share from your collection? A bon mot or two from anything notable, or otherwise?
Oldcompton

Post by Oldcompton »

Hi Keith
I sold a huge part of my collection a few years ago
Most of the material I have is post war , especially John Wiley
Who’s life life I’m really interested in , a real pioneer
For free sexual press/attitudes and a fantastic artist
Everything I do or own is consensual
I’m always on eBay and book sites looking for material
What kind of thing do you look for , I’ll keep you in the loop
Are you going to the birthday party tomorrow?
Regards
OC
Keith
Site Admin

Post by Keith »

Hi OC,

No, I fear I'm not going to be in attendance at the birthday bash; every time we party, real life keeps getting in the way! I do wish to pop along to one, but at the moment it's not really possible unless the stars truly align.

I appreciate your confirmation of the consensual, the only reason I mentioned it is the nature of our art in history is frequently not and we have rules on the site for that purpose. I didn't mean to suggest there was anything untoward in your collection, I simply tend to nudge anyone and everyone towards caution in the art of historical quotation.

My own interests are Georgian and early Victorian (and aren't necessarily purely of our art per se). I much more enjoy the works of this period as it predates the prurience and therefore use of obfuscating (and usually terrible) Latin that came with the middle and late Victorian era.